If you need to unclog a toilet in Skokie, here are some steps you can follow:
- Gather Supplies: Before you start, gather some supplies such as rubber gloves, a plunger, a bucket, and a toilet auger (if available).
- Protect the Area: Lay down old towels or newspaper around the toilet to catch any potential water spills.
- Use a Plunger:
- Put on the rubber gloves to protect your hands.
- Place the plunger over the toilet drain hole, ensuring a good seal.
- Push down gently and then pull up forcefully to create suction. Repeat this several times.
- If the water starts draining, you’ve successfully unclogged the toilet. Flush to ensure the water is flowing smoothly.
- Try Hot Water and Dish Soap: If the plunger doesn’t work, you can try pouring hot (but not boiling) water into the toilet bowl from waist height. Add a few squirts of dish soap. Let it sit for a few minutes and then attempt to flush.
- Use a Toilet Auger: If the clog is still stubborn, you can use a toilet auger.
- Insert the auger into the toilet bowl and push it through the drain, turning the handle clockwise as you go.
- If you encounter resistance, keep turning the handle to break up the clog.
- Once the auger goes through smoothly, pull it out and flush the toilet.
- Avoid Harsh Chemicals: Avoid using harsh chemical drain cleaners, as they can damage pipes and may not be effective in clearing the clog.
- Call a Professional: If none of the above methods work, it’s best to call a professional plumber to avoid causing further damage.
Remember that if you’re not comfortable attempting these steps or if the clog seems particularly challenging, it’s better to seek professional help rather than risk damaging your plumbing further.